Looking for how to write an application letter for employment? You’re at the right place. This article features a step by step guide on how to write an application letter in Nigeria. Read on!
Most of the time, job application makes you stand out when you include your interest in the job, your competence in writing a good application letter shows the employer why you are the ideal person to fill the job position.
Although, there are some jobs that does not involve an application letter such as; some part time jobs, factory jobs, dispatch rider jobs etc.
Writing one will still help you have an edge over the illiterate man, it helps you highlight your skills and achievements at a glance and get the hiring manager’s attention.
What Is An Application Letter?
An application letter is a formal letter written to an employer to express your interest in a job opening. The application letter should feature your achievements and skills, it aids you to get the attention of your prospective employer or recruiter responsible for reviewing your application.
This letter should be very brief and interesting enough to your potential employer, your key qualifications should be highlighted, it makes you fit for the position and also write something that creates thoughts in the heart of the hiring manager to request for an interview.
An application letter also focuses on your key competencies that makes you stand out from other applicants showing your familiarity with the role to which you’re applying for.
Here Are The Steps In Writing An Application Letter
Step 1: Research & Understand the company and Job you’re applying for.
Step 2: Decide on the Application format narration to use.
Step 3: Address heading of the letter
Step 4: Address the letter to the Human Resources (HR), Hiring manager & recruiter.
Step 5: Write your introduction and describe your interest briefly.
Step 6: Describe your relevant experience and qualifications for the position.
Step 7: Include key aspects that makes you stand out from other applicants.
Step 8: Express your gratitude for the opportunity
Step 9: Close the letter
1) Research & Understand the company and Job you’re applying for: Research is a very important step in writing an application letter, it is important to understand the company and job position you’re applying for.
2) Decide on the Application format narration to use: once you have concluded on the structure of the letter based on your research, you should write a rough draft letter first before writing the original one.
3) Address heading of the letter: It is important to address the header of the application letter, but the salutation is one aspect of the application letter that the employer will see first immediately they open it. Hence, it requires to be written with care.
Ensure to include a comma at the end of your salutation, when you want to address the letter to more than one recipients, you should use “Dear Sirs/Dear Madams” but to only one recipient you use “Dear Sir/Dear Madam.
4) Address the letter to the Human Resources (HR), Hiring manager & recruiter: Ensure you treat the recipients with respect and be polite enough, also use formal language (no shorthand) when you are writing, do not use any slang or ambiguous words.
5) Write your introduction and describe your interest: You should be brief enough in describing your interest, also give your prospective employers reasons why you are the best candidate for the job position.
6) Describe your relevant experience and qualifications for the position: Your potential employer or recruiter look forward to hiring people that offer something of value, with the right skills, competence and passion for the job.
7) Include key aspects that makes you stand out from other applicants: It is essential to include key aspects that makes you stands from other applicant, unless a handwritten letter is requested, you should send a typed document.
8) Express your gratitude for the opportunity: Also express your gratitude and state that you look forward to hearing from your prospective employer soon.
9) Close the letter: These are common closing that you can use to end your application letter: ‘Yours Faithfully’, ‘Yours Sincerely’ or ‘Yours Truly’
Final Words On How To Write An Application Letter In Nigeria
An application letter is also a formal introduction between you and your hiring manager, and it also helps you get ahead of other job seekers giving your prospective employer a reason why you are ahead of other applicants.
Was this information useful? Click on any of the share buttons below to share it online with your friends now.